Skip to main content

1 Stitch 2 Stitch

My 1 year old got stitches on his head last night (really this morning- ER was packed). The first of many real deal boo boos. We have a drum set in our basement and one of the snare drums was on the floor. I turned my back for literally 2 seconds (to eat a freakin cookie) and heard a shriek of pain. I quickly turned around and saw Omari holding his head. I ran over to him thinking he just hit his head on the floor or wall or something but I saw blood. I looked around and saw the snare drum and put two and two together. I cleaned the wound and saw a hole in his head. It was clearly a puncture. It wouldn't stop bleeding and it looked pretty deep. My baby! I was sick to my stomach because my baby was hurt. Desi held his stomach and started pacing the floor. "Oh God!" He said. He started to cry. "I don't want my baby brother to be hurt. Is he going to be okay?" He was so worried. My husband consoled him while I tried to clean the wound. I told my husband I have to take him to the Emergency Room. As parents, you will find that there will be moments of doubt and unsurety. In this moment,  we experienced that. My husband wasn't too sure if an ER visit was necessary and I wasn't either but I felt an internal tug that I never ignore. We got Omari dressed and I headed out to the hospital with him. As I checked him in, doubt crept up again. Should I even be here? Blood is not spurting out. Is this something I should have taken care of at home?? Google was no help. It gave me home care instructions but told me if infection occurs seek medical attention. Why risk infection?  I looked at the wound and felt that internal tug. Nope. This is the right decision. In the end, it was. Omari ended up having to get 2 stitches. The experience was heart wrenching. They put my baby in a papoose and strapped him down. My baby was looking at me with tears in his eyes the whole time. I  felt so helpless and I just wanted to break down and cry all over the hospital floor but I put on a strong face for my pumpkin. They stitched him up and gave him a nice cold and red popsicle. I asked Omari if he was okay. He said, "Okay Mommy. I eating pop pickle." Sigh of relief! My baby is okay.

The nurse joked with me and saw in the system that I had another son. She said, "You got two boys? Honey, you better get used to this. This is just the beginning." Oh Jehovah help me! I don't know if I can handle frequent ER visits. I nearly fell apart a few years ago when Desi had a hairline fracture in his arm. He was in a cast for a month! Anyway, I faked a laugh and told her my oldest was crying and so worried about his baby brother. She scoffed and said, "Honey you are setting your sons up. He needs to suck it up." Excuse me? First of all, please stop calling me honey cause I am not feeling too sweet right now. Secondly, what am I setting them up for? I'm setting them up to care? Have a heart? Be compassionate? Honey boo boo please! Please give me my discharge paper work so I can roll out of here. You make no sense! These are all the things I wanted to say with a neck roll and a few angry black woman claps but I held back.

We rolled out and headed home. My husband was so thankful and commended me for my quick action.  He held on to Omari and breathed him in. Desi woke up and held his brother so tight and we all settled in to sleep. All in a days work! I love my boys but I am not prepared for injuries. They are going have to walk around with some padding or something.

Comments

  1. Aww i love this! I breathed a sigh of relief too when he was eating that pop pickle! And u were right, always always always listen to that inner voice. I have the same issue and sometimes I do end up at the Drs office for nothing but at least Im not sitting at home wondering.... good job mommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tavia! I can't deny that inner voice. We definitely have it for a reason.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Warmth of the Snow

It was a cold and snowy Thursday morning. My icy cold hands fought to get Desi buckled up in his car seat. I gave him a kiss and headed over to my driver's side. I peered across the street and spotted this man walking his dog. I thought to myself, "He's pretty sexy." This overwhelming feeling comes over me and I revert to my school girlish ways. He approaches me with the warmest smile and I soon didn't feel so cold anymore. I am taken into his masculine arms and I am given a gentle kiss. We hold each other as the snow falls all around us. We gaze into each others eyes as we dance to "Down by the Bay" (songs in kid minor). LOL!  That moment with my husband meant so much. It was a rush rush kind of morning and to just take the time to embrace each other helps you to continue to remember the love you have for the one that was there before your child. Once you have a child, life tends to revolve around that little person. However, it is so important for t...

Star Wars and a Lesson Learned

Thursday night my husband and I snuck out the house to catch the 11:40p showing of Star Wars! My mother stays at our house during the week to watch Omari so she was fine with staying with the kids while we ran off to be teenagers again. As soon as we put the boys to bed, we rolled out (Roll Out by Ludacris plays here). It was exciting! Sometimes things are so surreal to me that it seems like my life is a movie and I will instantly que music in my head for the relatable scene. I felt a rush come over me while we tiptoed through the house and out the door. It felt like we were being rebellious. We were rebelling against the parental norms for the night. Once we got into the car, we just smiled at each other as I silently melted. His smile is a constant reminder of one of the many reasons why he is my husband. He is so fine (I Love Your Smile by Shauniece plays here)! He said, "You ready baby?" I nodded and we headed for the theater. He thanked me for coming with him and I could...

Long Time

It has been a long time since I've blogged. To be honest, I kinda lost interest for a few months. I guess it may have been because no one was reading it. I just happened to look at it today and it sparked up an interest again. I realized how much I just really like writing. So to heck with it. I'm gonna write. I don't care if no one will ever read it. With all that said, let's talk about motherhood. Desmond is 1 1/2 years old! He is busy as ever. He loves playing outdoors, especially in the rain. He says,  "Outside Mommy! Pay, I want pay!" Now who can say no to that? Oh! Wait Wait! I gotta share this first before I go any further. Two days ago, I came home with Desi (after picking him up from daycare). We walked in the house and he greeted our dog as usual. Then he yelled "D-A-A-D-Y!" I told him daddy wasn't home yet. He looked at me and said, "baketball?" How did he know that? Yes, my husband was out playing basketball. But how did h...