Skip to main content

Brown Tears

I prefer the color purple rather than the color pink. Purple is the color I like the most because I think it is beautiful. A month ago my son revealed his color preference and I wasn't prepared. It has taken me some time to think about whether I would write about this topic or not as it is pretty sensitive but in the end I feel like not writing about it would bring a constant nagging that would be hard to escape.

About a month ago, my oldest son, Desmond asked me to place my hand up against his hand and I did not understand why. He analyzed his hand and mine and proceeded to say, "I wish I had you and Omari's color brown." My heart betrayed me and stopped. All my senses went numb. I couldn't believe what my wonderfully made son just said. I asked him why he felt that way and he said that my brown and his brother's brown was a better brown because it's lighter. I pushed past the ringing in my ear and lovingly asked him if someone at school was saying mean things to him.  He told me that he had no problems with anyone. This was something he felt. I mentally scanned my memory bank to find a moment in time where he could have developed this thought. All I could conjure up was the Michael Jackson story we watched a few months ago. Michael Jackson did not like the way he looked and then Desmond saw that he slowly started to look like a white man. Maybe this resonated with him? As I pondered on that, Desmond asked if he would become lighter as he got older. Maybe it was the movie. I looked at Desmond and held him so tight. I told him that he was a beautiful shade of brown and my color and Omari's color is not of any greater beauty. We are all equally beautiful. I began to cry as I tried to encourage my son to love himself. Desmond told me that he did not mean for me to cry but I told him it wasn't his fault. I let him know that I loved him and hearing him express his dislike of himself is why I was crying. At that moment my husband cooly walks in the room and stops just half past the threshold with a confused look on his face. I explained to him the views Desmond expressed about himself. Chris sat next to his first born and took him into his magnificently chocolate arms and provided him with words of encouragement only a father could give.
Tears and laughs were exchanged. At the end of it all, Chris and I both expressed to Desmond that we were very appreciative of him coming to us to express his thoughts and we encouraged him to continue to do that. We said a prayer together and I immediately sprung to action. My baby needed positive affirmations. I wrote a love note for him to say to himself everyday he looks into the mirror and taped it onto the bathroom mirror. I told him that he needed to look at himself while he recited the words and smile. I also wrote him a poem. I made it short and sweet so he could remember it. In that same week, my coworker let me borrow a wonderful book called "Shades of Black" by  Sandra Pinkney. Desmond's eyes lit up when he read the book. We also found a book at the library called "Desmond and the Very Mean Word" by Archbishop Desmond Tutu. This book was absolutely amazing. It touched Desmond beyond words. He saw a beautiful brown boy that was his shade of brown and the icing on the cake was that the boy's name in the book was Desmond! He looked at me and cried. He was so elated.
As of today, my son is continuing to grow in his love for himself. We continue to check in with him and continue with our balanced positive affirmations. Desmond WILL love himself because we are determined to show him what he is worth.
-------------------------------------
ODE TO DESMOND

My brown is deep
My brown is sweet
My brown shines in front of everyone I meet

It compliments my smile and hugs my eyes
It turns many heads and that's no surprise.

I love my brown which means I love me
There is no other person I would rather be
Whether the light shines or darkness peaks
I am who I am and there is no one like me.

Comments

  1. This is so touching and emotional. What a wonderful way to teach Desmond that love comes in all colors if not what a boring world we would have. No variety. Thank you both for your kind words of comfort to Desmond. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gee Gee! Who would want to live in that world right? You are so right. We love y'all so much. It takes a village to mold our beautiful babies.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poop Catcher

Hello!! I've been gone for a while, but for good reason. I was studying for my state exam for my insurance license. I passed! I am now licensed to write and sell auto and home policies. Woo hoo! So I got my life back. Hubby was so great during this time. He took care of everything and supported me tremendously. Now, Desi was supportive as well. He would join in on my studies. "Want to study with chew mommy," he would say. When I passed, he said "Good job mommy! So proud of you!" (of course daddy coached him). It just warmed my heart. Anyway,  I have to share this hilarious story with you all. One night, earlier last week, we are trying to get Desi to poop in the toilet.  He just refused to sit his little butt down on the seat. We knew he had to poop, so we really wanted him to get on the toilet. My husband was speaking with his mother on the phone and she heard the commotion. She suggested that we just let him go pamperless for the night before going to bed. T

So Emotional

I am all over the place this week. My emotions are running wild and my eating is out of control! No I'm not preggers, I'm just trying to put up with a visitor (ya'll know what I'm talking about). I wish I could take a vaca with myself during these times because I hate being around people. I can be mean. The men of my house experience my wrath more than anyone else. My poor Desi was so mad with me today because I was so impatient with him. He said, "tell my daddy on You! I told him to go on and tell his daddy. He just seems to pull on that nerve a little more around this time. Not only do I have to deal with a visitor today, I have to deal with allergies! My eyes are swollen, I can't breathe and I feel like if I sneeze one more time I'm gonna scream. With all of that being said, my poor baby didn't really have fun with mommy today. We fussed at each other all night. I felt like I wanted to cry because all I wanted was a little break and I couldn't

Self Discovery

I just discovered something about myself. I am not as confident in myself as I thought I was. I went to dinner with my cousin and a few other family members the other night. We were discussing each other's personality. My beautiful and very talented cousin mentioned that I am one that second guesses myself. She then gives an example. She asked me to set up the gift baskets for her product line (Endless Touch). I take on the task and proceed to ask her how she would like it set up. Although it is nice that I asked, but she was extremely busy. I should have just taken the initiative and dressed those baskets up with confidence. She is 100% right and hearing her say it out loud confirmed my suspicions about myself. It was all clear. When she asked me to set those baskets up, I had an idea of how I would have liked it to look, but I didn't believe that idea would be received well, so I asked for her vision instead. This is just an example on a smaller scale. Not only do I do this