Skip to main content

EphiphaME

A few months back, my dear friend approached me expressing her concern regarding my overall state of being. She noticed that I was nearing a point of break down. She was right. I had been so engrossed in caring for the boys and my husband that I was neglecting myself. Unhappiness must have been my outer garment because my friend SAW me. She implored me to take some time out for myself in order to take care of ME. She assured me that I would not be selfish if I did this. After that interaction with her, my eyes were open. I immediately talked to my husband about that conversation and how I was feeling. He encouraged me to take some time and reminded me that he had been trying to get me to do that for a while. I realized then how stubborn I was.

Every Sunday I designate 3 hrs to myself. I use that time to decompress and reconnect with myself. During the warmer months, I would walk around my favorite lake. Now that it is colder, I shop or I chill in my room with the door locked and do anything my heart desires while the kids are with my husband. Sometimes my husband takes the kids out while I hang out in the house. As an anxiety/depression sufferer this time I have set aside is invaluable. I am able to focus on breathing because believe it or not, I go through the day forgetting to breathe. I am tense all day and my mind feels like an overwhelming traffic jam of intense thoughts and worry. It's exhausting. So I have tried to incorporate some breathing exercises during my time alone as well.

There is really nothing extravagant that I do but it is just time with me. It took me some time to get to the point where this time apart from my family didn't make me feel guilty or make me feel like I was neglecting them. At first the guilt was so bad that I would punish myself by trying not to have fun by myself. It sounds crazy but it's the truth. I no longer punish myself. I thoroughly enjoy my time alone and I always return to my family refreshed and ready.

When it all boils down to it, I hold my family together and if I am unable to hold myself together then my family will suffer. I see the importance of putting myself first (in a balanced and healthy way) and the importance of having good friends in my life and a wonderfully supportive husband. Life is good and I am determined to keep it that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poop Catcher

Hello!! I've been gone for a while, but for good reason. I was studying for my state exam for my insurance license. I passed! I am now licensed to write and sell auto and home policies. Woo hoo! So I got my life back. Hubby was so great during this time. He took care of everything and supported me tremendously. Now, Desi was supportive as well. He would join in on my studies. "Want to study with chew mommy," he would say. When I passed, he said "Good job mommy! So proud of you!" (of course daddy coached him). It just warmed my heart. Anyway,  I have to share this hilarious story with you all. One night, earlier last week, we are trying to get Desi to poop in the toilet.  He just refused to sit his little butt down on the seat. We knew he had to poop, so we really wanted him to get on the toilet. My husband was speaking with his mother on the phone and she heard the commotion. She suggested that we just let him go pamperless for the night before going to bed. T

So Emotional

I am all over the place this week. My emotions are running wild and my eating is out of control! No I'm not preggers, I'm just trying to put up with a visitor (ya'll know what I'm talking about). I wish I could take a vaca with myself during these times because I hate being around people. I can be mean. The men of my house experience my wrath more than anyone else. My poor Desi was so mad with me today because I was so impatient with him. He said, "tell my daddy on You! I told him to go on and tell his daddy. He just seems to pull on that nerve a little more around this time. Not only do I have to deal with a visitor today, I have to deal with allergies! My eyes are swollen, I can't breathe and I feel like if I sneeze one more time I'm gonna scream. With all of that being said, my poor baby didn't really have fun with mommy today. We fussed at each other all night. I felt like I wanted to cry because all I wanted was a little break and I couldn't

Food Fight!

My child won't eat dinner! Should I be offended? LOL! I mean, is my cooking that bad? He will nibble on the food and start playing with it. Next thing I know, it's on the floor and the dog is eating it, or Desi is sneaking the edibles under the tray of his high chair. Chris and I will tell him to eat and he turns his nose up and says a big "NO." We never had this problem with him before, so I don't know why he is not interested in eating all of a sudden. I am starting to worry a bit because I don't think he is getting all the nutrients he needs. However, a friend of mine told me that when her son was around Desi's age, she had the same issue with him. Her doctor told her not to worry. He told her that if she could get him to have a teaspoon of food per his age (2 teaspoons for a 2 year old), he will get all the nutrients he needs. I will try that, but, first, how am I going to get him to open up and eat the food? He's a pretty stubborn one. He got th