Skip to main content

EphiphaME

A few months back, my dear friend approached me expressing her concern regarding my overall state of being. She noticed that I was nearing a point of break down. She was right. I had been so engrossed in caring for the boys and my husband that I was neglecting myself. Unhappiness must have been my outer garment because my friend SAW me. She implored me to take some time out for myself in order to take care of ME. She assured me that I would not be selfish if I did this. After that interaction with her, my eyes were open. I immediately talked to my husband about that conversation and how I was feeling. He encouraged me to take some time and reminded me that he had been trying to get me to do that for a while. I realized then how stubborn I was.

Every Sunday I designate 3 hrs to myself. I use that time to decompress and reconnect with myself. During the warmer months, I would walk around my favorite lake. Now that it is colder, I shop or I chill in my room with the door locked and do anything my heart desires while the kids are with my husband. Sometimes my husband takes the kids out while I hang out in the house. As an anxiety/depression sufferer this time I have set aside is invaluable. I am able to focus on breathing because believe it or not, I go through the day forgetting to breathe. I am tense all day and my mind feels like an overwhelming traffic jam of intense thoughts and worry. It's exhausting. So I have tried to incorporate some breathing exercises during my time alone as well.

There is really nothing extravagant that I do but it is just time with me. It took me some time to get to the point where this time apart from my family didn't make me feel guilty or make me feel like I was neglecting them. At first the guilt was so bad that I would punish myself by trying not to have fun by myself. It sounds crazy but it's the truth. I no longer punish myself. I thoroughly enjoy my time alone and I always return to my family refreshed and ready.

When it all boils down to it, I hold my family together and if I am unable to hold myself together then my family will suffer. I see the importance of putting myself first (in a balanced and healthy way) and the importance of having good friends in my life and a wonderfully supportive husband. Life is good and I am determined to keep it that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Warmth of the Snow

It was a cold and snowy Thursday morning. My icy cold hands fought to get Desi buckled up in his car seat. I gave him a kiss and headed over to my driver's side. I peered across the street and spotted this man walking his dog. I thought to myself, "He's pretty sexy." This overwhelming feeling comes over me and I revert to my school girlish ways. He approaches me with the warmest smile and I soon didn't feel so cold anymore. I am taken into his masculine arms and I am given a gentle kiss. We hold each other as the snow falls all around us. We gaze into each others eyes as we dance to "Down by the Bay" (songs in kid minor). LOL!  That moment with my husband meant so much. It was a rush rush kind of morning and to just take the time to embrace each other helps you to continue to remember the love you have for the one that was there before your child. Once you have a child, life tends to revolve around that little person. However, it is so important for t...

It's Bedtime!

I love the bedtime routine we have set out for Desi. He gets his bath and a good rub down. We say a prayer with daddy and we read 2 books. The first book is always "My Book of Bible Stories" and the second book is "The Snuggliest Snuggle in the World." I bought the second book for Desi when I was 3 months pregnant and I just knew and felt that it was going to be his favorite book. Mommy's intuition did not steer her wrong! He loves the book! He really gets into the voices I make for each character, we point out colors and animals. He will turn the page and when the story is over I say, "The end. Okay close the book Desi." He will, then, close the book. I tell him night night and we go over to the light switch. I tell him to turn the light off and he turns the light off. A moon is projected on the wall so we say goodnight to the moon and I turn on the heartbeat sound on the projector. He gives mommy a hug and I put him in his crib. He holds my hand unti...

Long Time

It has been a long time since I've blogged. To be honest, I kinda lost interest for a few months. I guess it may have been because no one was reading it. I just happened to look at it today and it sparked up an interest again. I realized how much I just really like writing. So to heck with it. I'm gonna write. I don't care if no one will ever read it. With all that said, let's talk about motherhood. Desmond is 1 1/2 years old! He is busy as ever. He loves playing outdoors, especially in the rain. He says,  "Outside Mommy! Pay, I want pay!" Now who can say no to that? Oh! Wait Wait! I gotta share this first before I go any further. Two days ago, I came home with Desi (after picking him up from daycare). We walked in the house and he greeted our dog as usual. Then he yelled "D-A-A-D-Y!" I told him daddy wasn't home yet. He looked at me and said, "baketball?" How did he know that? Yes, my husband was out playing basketball. But how did h...