Skip to main content

Being a Mother While Having a Mental Illness

Being a mother is challenging. We are tasked with running our household all while working full time outside our home. We are the cook, the doctor, the nurse, and the counselor. Some of us are praised by our husbands and children and some of us are not. Some of us lose ourselves in it all. We have no days off. Being a mother is indeed challenging. Being a mother with a mental illness adds an additional challenge to these challenges.

I am a mother with a mental illness. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. A lot of my anxiety is internalized so as to not disrupt the flow of the people in my world.

Since the age of 4 I have had great fear and worry over everything. Things that have happened and haven't happened. The panic came later in my life. I cannot go to certain malls and huge gatherings. As a mother the anxiety has grown. I take my medication faithfully and I feel that it has helped the flow of traffic in my mind however, nothing can completely take it away. I feel like it brings some type of order to the disorder.

My children mean the world to me. They are my breath, my life and my heart. They are a beautiful blessing. At times I feel that I am not a good mother. I have this internal war within myself. If they watch TV a little longer than they should my mind goes in overdrive about what person I am making them into. They won't get a job they won't apply themselves in school and it's going to be my fault because I just wanted to cook in peace. How selfish of me? Or I couldn't get out the bed because not only have I just worked a full day, come home to cook, clean, help with homework and muster up energy to play with my kids but I have worked my mind so much with anxious thoughts that I have completely lost all energy to be a part of the family.

Burn out is deep and retching for me because I feel like I have failed. Failed my family, myself, mothers I know and mothers I don't know. I didn't do it right. But what is right? The pictures on Instagram? Or what my mama said that her mama said? Or what the Bible says? I know it's what the Bible says but now I feel guilty and less of a faithful godly women because I thought about the other things and did not think about God first. So now I am failing as a mother and my relationship with God. Not to mention my husband that stands by me wondering if I am ok.

The war goes on and on inside until I crumble and when pieces of me fall, my husband is always there to sweep me up into a whole woman. I am thankful for his support but that nagging voice in my head says I don't deserve it. I try to do all the things I should to shut it up but it is never satisfied and the cycle happens again.

My children love me dearly. When they notice that I am sad or overwhelmed they ask me if I am ok and assure that I will be ok. They remind me to take deep breaths and rub my shoulders and give me lots of love. I never wanted to show such emotions to my children and have them worry about me. I never saw my mother break down and I always feel less of a mother because I cannot control my anxiety.

My biggest fight has always been with myself. Sometimes I win and sometimes I don't. I do have a wonderful support system and that really helps me. I just do not want this to define me and I grapple with that everyday. I worry my kids may "catch" what I have so that has been added to my list of anxieties. There are so many other things I can say but as I continue to write my chest gets tighter and tighter and my mind is doing that traffic jam thing it does so I will leave this little nugget on the table:

We are worthy
We are loved
We are strong
We are NOT crazy
We are NOT defeated
We are NOT our illness

Be a FRIEND to YOURSELF and know that you are not perfect and do not have to be because you cannot compete with imperfection. ALWAYS remember to look up because the sky is smiling at you.

Comments

  1. You are so bold and brave to share this with the world. More people need to hear this, because so often people are defined and judged by their illnesses. When it's just a facet of the diamond that is you, and makes you the beautiful person you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am over a year late with this reply. I kind of gave up on my blog but it is good to know that people like you are interested in my blog! I appreciate you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poop Catcher

Hello!! I've been gone for a while, but for good reason. I was studying for my state exam for my insurance license. I passed! I am now licensed to write and sell auto and home policies. Woo hoo! So I got my life back. Hubby was so great during this time. He took care of everything and supported me tremendously. Now, Desi was supportive as well. He would join in on my studies. "Want to study with chew mommy," he would say. When I passed, he said "Good job mommy! So proud of you!" (of course daddy coached him). It just warmed my heart. Anyway,  I have to share this hilarious story with you all. One night, earlier last week, we are trying to get Desi to poop in the toilet.  He just refused to sit his little butt down on the seat. We knew he had to poop, so we really wanted him to get on the toilet. My husband was speaking with his mother on the phone and she heard the commotion. She suggested that we just let him go pamperless for the night before going to bed. T

So Emotional

I am all over the place this week. My emotions are running wild and my eating is out of control! No I'm not preggers, I'm just trying to put up with a visitor (ya'll know what I'm talking about). I wish I could take a vaca with myself during these times because I hate being around people. I can be mean. The men of my house experience my wrath more than anyone else. My poor Desi was so mad with me today because I was so impatient with him. He said, "tell my daddy on You! I told him to go on and tell his daddy. He just seems to pull on that nerve a little more around this time. Not only do I have to deal with a visitor today, I have to deal with allergies! My eyes are swollen, I can't breathe and I feel like if I sneeze one more time I'm gonna scream. With all of that being said, my poor baby didn't really have fun with mommy today. We fussed at each other all night. I felt like I wanted to cry because all I wanted was a little break and I couldn't

Food Fight!

My child won't eat dinner! Should I be offended? LOL! I mean, is my cooking that bad? He will nibble on the food and start playing with it. Next thing I know, it's on the floor and the dog is eating it, or Desi is sneaking the edibles under the tray of his high chair. Chris and I will tell him to eat and he turns his nose up and says a big "NO." We never had this problem with him before, so I don't know why he is not interested in eating all of a sudden. I am starting to worry a bit because I don't think he is getting all the nutrients he needs. However, a friend of mine told me that when her son was around Desi's age, she had the same issue with him. Her doctor told her not to worry. He told her that if she could get him to have a teaspoon of food per his age (2 teaspoons for a 2 year old), he will get all the nutrients he needs. I will try that, but, first, how am I going to get him to open up and eat the food? He's a pretty stubborn one. He got th